The ProLon® Fasting Mimicking Diet® is a proprietary plant-based restricted-calorie meal program that has been scientifically designed to provide the rejuvenative effects of fasting at the cellular level, while still providing the body with nourishment.
2. Who should engage in the ProLon® Dietary program?
ProLon® is intended for use by healthy individuals who want to enhance their health and well-being and by individuals who struggle with weight and want to proactively manage their weight in an easy and healthy way.
3. What is a Fasting Mimicking Diet ®?
FMD® provides the body with a scientifically developed combination of macronutrients (fats, carbohydrates, proteins) and micronutrients (essential vitamins and minerals) designed to keep the body nourished while going through the rejuvenating process of the fasting state.
4. How should the ProLon® diet be taken?
The diet should be taken for five consecutive days, after which the individual will transition on the 6th day and then resume their normal diet. The program provides a meal card that recommends how to consume the items for each day, but each day’s items can be consumed in any order you wish, as long as you only eat each day’s items during that day (do not carry them over to the next).
5. How much weight can one expect to lose and will the individual be able to keep it off?
While the purpose of the diet is to trigger rejuvenation, weight loss may occur. Everyone is different, and weight loss depends on a number of factors. In a clinical study of participants who completed a 5-day ProLon® cycle once a month for three months, the average weight loss at the end of the study was about 5.1 pounds. This was primarily abdominal fat, while lean body mass was preserved.”
6. Should routine intake of dietary supplements be stopped during the ProLon® dietary program?
It is best to avoid non-prescribed additions to the protocol, including dietary supplements. The clinical studies did not include additional ingredients, and we are still learning what effect these additions may have on the protocol. For prescribed medications and dietary supplements, we recommend consulting with your physician or healthcare provider.
7. Can I use ProLon® with an existing health condition?
If you have a medical condition, then you must reach out to a healthcare provider to determine your suitability for ProLon®.
8. How does a healthcare provider sign up on the website?
Healthcare providers who desire to sell or recommend ProLon® must first register on www.prolonpro.com.
9. Why do some individuals need supervision of a healthcare provider?
Fasting on a restricted diet for 5 days is not for everyone. In certain situations, a healthcare professional can help determine if ProLon® is a safe choice.
10. How many cycles of ProLon® can be recommended to a individual in a one-year period?
We recommend to follow the clinical trial once per month for three consecutive months. After completing the 1st three cycles, you can do the program from time to time when you are looking for rejuvenation.
11. Once the individual starts the ProLon® program can the day boxes be split up?
The ProLon® diet has been carefully curated and scientifically tested to be consumed consecutively. Therefore, we do not recommend rotating boxes or food items between days.
12. Is there a "transition day" diet after completing five days of the ProLon® Fasting Mimicking Diet®?
You can find all the information in the ProLon® transition meal plan by clicking here.
13. Is there scientific data that supports ProLon, and that it enables individuals to reach a fasting state?
ProLon® provides the body with a scientifically developed combination of micro- and macronutrients designed to keep the body nourished while going through the rejuvenating process of the fasting state. A published clinical trial supports ProLon.
14. Is there scientific data supporting ProLon® ingredients and formulation?
The proprietary dietary formulation is based on decades of scientific research, including preclinical and clinical trials put together to mimic fasting, while optimizing nourishment. A published clinical trial supports ProLon®.
15. How long do the benefits of the program last?
Health benefits are sustained up to three months after completing 3 cycles of ProLon®.
16. What happens if I only do one cycle in total?
ProLon® is ideal for resetting and rejuvenating. To date the current clinical studies have assessed benefits only after three cycles (once a month for three consecutive months).
17. Can I prolong the fast?
Use ProLon® as directed and recommended on the program meal card. The ProLon® fast should be balanced with a period of refeeding so one can benefit from cellular clean-up that occurred during the fast.
18. How come people of different sizes and weight eat the same things with the same amount of calories while on the program?
ProLon® has been studied in a wide range of individuals with different caloric needs and found to be safe. The overall meal program was effective at inducing a fasting state in people with a wide range of body mass index (BMI), and the L-Drink is dosed per individual body weight to provide just enough glycerin to support fasting mode.
19. Is it ok if all the food is not eaten in one day?
It is not recommended to omit foods. We recommend to follow the program as directed and consume all the food. The ratio of nutrients was developed to maintain nourishment while being fasting mode.
20. If all of the food designated for one day is not eaten, can it be eaten on the next day?
The ProLon® diet has been carefully curated and scientifically tested to be consumed consecutively. Therefore, we recommend eating all foods in each day’s box. If there is any leftover food, this should not be eaten on a different day in the cycle.
21. Can the diet be stopped at day 4?
The 5-day cycle has been carefully designed based on preclinical and clinical data, and therefore we recommend consuming all five days as directed to the extent possible.
22. What if food outside of the ProLon® diet was eaten during one day of the diet because of circumstances (e.g. social event)?
The diet has been carefully designed based on preclinical and clinical research, and we do not recommend that you consume anything outside of the diet.
23. What are the options if one does not like certain ProLon® food items?
Unfortunately, there are no substitutes for the foods in this diet. However, we have two different versions of the program that you can chose from. ProLon® Original & ProLon Soup Variety 2.
24. What are the potential side effects of ProLon®?
ProLon® FMD® is well tolerated by most individuals. Common complaints reported in our clinical trial were fatigue, headache, and difficulty with concentration. Complaints are mild and tolerated for most people.
25. What is the recommended healthy or normal daily caloric intake?
In accordance to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020, estimate ranges for adult women are from 1,600 to 2,400 calories per day and for adult men are from 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day with the lowest end reflecting a sedentary lifestyle and the high end reflecting active lifestyle. More information can be found here: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-2/#table-a2-1
26. Will I lose muscle mass while I am on this program?
While we did not measure muscle mass, ProLon® demonstrated preservation of lean body mass. Lean body mass is (bone + muscle/ everything else in your body) in clinical trials.
27. Do you experience ketosis while on ProLon®?
The level of ketone production while on ProLon® is variable. Some may experience a mild state of ketosis, while others do not throughout the duration of the fast. The average ketone level has been shown to be elevated by day five of ProLon, although individual levels may vary.
28. Is ProLon® FDA approved?
As food, ProLon® does not require FDA approval.
29. How is it that I’m eating but still in a fasting state with such a high carbohydrate diet?
ProLon® provides the body with a scientifically developed combination of micro and macronutrients designed to keep the body nourished while going through the rejuvenating process of the fasting state.
30. Why should I avoid extreme temperature environments while on ProLon®?
Extreme hot temperatures, should be avoided as this may increase the risk of fainting.
31. What if I have an allergy to nuts?
ProLon® is not recommended for those that have nut allergies. The product contains: macadamia nut, pecan, and almond.
32. I cannot tolerate the teas. Can I consume other teas instead?
Herbal teas outside of the diet are fine as long as they are unsweetened and caffeine free.
33. Can I chew gum during ProLon®?
Although we suggest no additions to the diet, up to two pieces of sugar-free gum per day is allowed.
34. Can I put lemon in my water?
Although we suggest no additions to the diet, up to 1 wedge of lemon per day is allowed.
35. Can I add herbs, spices or salt to the soups?
No more than 1 teaspoon of combined salt, herbs and spices per day can be added to the soups to enhance the flavor. Additionally, it is best to stick with unprocessed spices, such as red pepper flakes.
36. Can I drink sparkling water or distilled water?
All types of sparkling waters are fine as long as they do not contain artificial sweeteners, non-nutritive /non-caloric sweeteners, and/or nutritive sweeteners.
37. Can I drink coffee during ProLon®?
It is better not to consumed but if you are experiencing caffeine withdrawal you can have eight fluid oz of coffee with nothing added, or 16 fluid oz of green/white or black tea.
38. Are all the compontents of the diet considered organic?
ProLon® contains some products that are made with organic ingredients, but they are not certified organic.
39. What is DHA in the algal oil?
DHA is an omega-3 fatty acid.
40. What is the L-drink for?
The L-Drink contains glycerol and it is intended to preserve lean body mass and support hydration.
41. What is the L-drink made from?
Is made of purified water, vegetable glycerin, natural flavors, citric acid, and potassium sorbate (to protect freshness).
42. Can I participate in this program if I have a history of allergies, or may be gluten or lactose sensitive?
If you have a concern, please review the ingredients label or take the label and have a discussion with your Healthcare Provider. ProLon® is formulated with ingredients that do not contain gluten or lactose.
43. Is ProLon® gluten-free?
Yes ProLon® is free of gluten-containing ingredients
44. Can I exercise while using ProLon®?
We suggest to avoid strenuous activity while on ProLon®. Exercise may impact the outcome of the fast and increase potential complications. We encourage slow pace walking, stretching, mobility exercises and light yoga while on the 5-day program.